Monday, August 2, 2010

Weeds!

No matter how well you prepare the soil and how well you mulch you're going to end up with weeds in your garden. I got a little bit behind and pulled out about 4 huge buckets in two beds in the high tunnel today.



J.I. Rodale writes in a 1974 version of "How to Grow Vegetables and Fruits by the Organic Method," that "If there are many weeds, it's best not to dig them all under. It's helpful to chop up some of them with the sharp end of the spade and work them into the soil..." When I've tried doing this I find that all my weeds end up multiplying like the Hydra of Greek mythology with its many heads that grow again if cut off.

Then, Rodale continues"...,but the majority should be pulled out, roots and all, before planting."

This is the most labor intensive and time consuming part of gardening and where I spend the most hours of work in the garden!

3 eggs, no rain as of 8:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment