Sunday, August 1, 2010

Fitz's Busy Saturday



I'm still working on figuring out how to get those pictures posted. The chamomile is flowering in the herb garden and I've started plucking the flowers and drying them for winter time tea.
I drove up to Rochester, NY yesterday to pick up my mother from the hospital where she was recovering from medical problems, so I don't have to much to report about my own activity on the farm.
Fitz, my husband, however, was a busy bee! He and his buddy, Don, got the plastic pulled over the second high tunnel. This one is 20 feet wide by 94 feet long and 10 feet high. It's going to be used for dwarf tender fruit trees - like peaches, nectarines, and figs, small fruits - like raspberries and strawberries, and tender perennial herbs - like lavender and rosemary. Can you imagine how wonderful it's going to smell inside there?
They also got my new picnic table moved onto the deck. It's an enormous, heavy, beast that we purchased from a local retired gentleman who makes them to supplement his retirement income. It's 8 feet by 8 feet square - which includes the attached benches. I can't wait to post pictures!
Fitz ran to the feed store for me yesterday after he ran to the dump. We have an Amish community nearby and we go there to purchase our feed from the Stutzmans. We bought 4 - 65 lbs. of pig feed, 4 - 50 lbs. bags of chicken layer pellets, and 2- 50 lb. bags of shelled corn. I know this stuff is a bit boring, but I''d like to keep a record of what I purchase for the farm.
The kids big chore yesterday was to wash all three dogs after they rolled in something disgusting and couldn't be let in the house. The two little dogs are not too tough to wash, but washing the big dog is a rodeo!


High tunnel Max. 105.2 Min. 47.4, 3 eggs (one broken due to the "big dumb dog" running Heather down)

1 comment: