Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Deer Sighting And Our First CSA Week

 I was preparing to work on this blog this morning, when I heard my schnauzer, Candy Cane, barking and turned to see a doe running and almost jumping over the dog in her haste to get away.  A minute later the dog started barking again and I looked to see the doe standing her ground and watching the dog.  Out of curiosity, I walked out to see how close to the doe I could get.  I was about 20 feet away from her..


...before she turned tail to run another 20 feet away.  I wonder if there's a 
little fawn hiding out in that growth?  


We had our first CSA pick up this past Friday and Saturday.  The baskets contained salad greens, beets, garlic scapes, free range eggs, maple syrup, jelly, herbs (tarragon, parsley, chives, and oregano), and chow chow. 


We look like we'll have a good basket for next week, but our third week's basket may hold less as we wait for the gardens to put forth their bounty.  That's part of being in a CSA and gardening in general - you enjoy joys of the bounty along with the sorrow of the dearth.  Once things get going though... (God willing) watch out for the tidal wave of vegetables!   

One of the most delightful things about a garden
is the anticipation it provides.  
 ~ by W.E. Johns, 


2 comments:

  1. I turned the garlic scapes into pesto last night and served it on top of grilled London broil. It was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I found an excellent (and easy!) recipe for a garlic scape salad dressing and will be passing it along.

    ReplyDelete