Sunday, June 5, 2011

Bear Trap

As I was driving down the hill from my house I saw the local Game Commission with their bear trap along the road.  I wondered if they had been setting up the trap and stopped to chat.

"No," he told me.  He had received a call that a deer had been hit and needed to be put out of its misery.  We walked over and the poor deer was already dead in the weeds by the road.  "Most of the calls we're getting now are for bears," he said.  Bird feeders (including hummingbird feeders) and grills with a good meat smell are very, very attractive to bears and they'll go right up on people's back decks to get to them.







Yesterday, Fitz saw what he estimated to be a 300 pound bear come out of the forest in front of his car.  It ran across the road, vaulted across the guard rail, and ran through some people's backyards.  

I cross my fingers in hopes that the bears find enough to eat in the wild and don't decide to make my beehives their dessert!


"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
                                    -- Winnie the Pooh, The House at Pooh Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment