Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sunday Breakfast

A big Sunday breakfast is a tradition in our house.  Sometimes I make a big batch of pancakes or waffles.  This morning we ate bacon from our own pigs, homemade biscuits (recipe to follow), butter, and honey from our own bees.  In an attempt to plan ahead,  I usually make extra so that there are leftovers for breakfasts during the week.  Sometimes there just aren't any leftovers to be had!

I was lucky to get a shot of the bacon before it disappeared!

A quart jar of raw, unfiltered honey

"Never-fail" Biscuits

I've tried a number of different biscuit recipes and these are the best I've found.  They come out light and airy and the family loves them.  I'm not entirely happy about the large amount of baking powder they require and will happily take suggestions from anyone who has a good alternative recipe!


Never Fail Biscuits
~ from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tsp. white sugar
1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced (I learned that the trick is to dice it up pretty small)
3/4 cup milk

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450-degrees.
2.  In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients (or just throw it all in and mix it up a little bit like I do).  Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse oatmeal.  Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour in the milk.  Stir until dough begins to pull together then turn out onto a lightly floured surface (it'll be kind of crumbly). 
3. Press dough together and then roll out until 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 2 inch round biscuits and place on an ungreased baking sheet. 
4. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until golden. 

_______________________

I realized, as I typed out the ingredients for this recipe, that I forgot to add the cream of tartar to the above batch of biscuits!  That must be why they didn't puff up as much as usual.  They still tasted really, really good though!


  

3 comments:

  1. OOh good tip on dicing up the butter...I'll have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohhh...your very own bacon and honey, I am SOOO jealous!!
    On my blog, I have a recipe for DIY Baking Mix that you can find here: http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/2011/05/baking-mix.html
    I also have a recipe for Buttermilk Biscuits made with the Baking Mix here:
    http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/2011/05/buttermilk-biscuits.html
    I use the Baking Mix for EVERYTHING from biscuits to pancakes to cookies to cobbler topping to muffins to beer breads! I hope you get a chance to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Momi - good luck with your baking! Candy C. - thank you!

    ReplyDelete