Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Powerful Tree

There's a path through a beautiful forest close by my house where I occasionally take "blog walks" to think of, and if I'm lucky, get ideas for my blog.  

Every time I pass this tree, I'm always astounded by the power a tree has to adapt to foreign objects.  Where I grew up it was common to see old, old barbed wire from fences sticking out of the sides of a trees.  My husband tells me of a tree somewhere out in the forest that has a half-buried old lantern in it.  Here, someone must have, years ago, stuck this soda pop can in the 'V' of the tree and the tree appears to be enveloping it! 




The tree is more than first a seed, then a stem, then a living trunk, and then dead timber.  The tree is a slow, enduring force straining to win the sky.  
~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Wisdom of the Sands, translated from French by Stuart Gilbert



4 comments:

  1. Yes I have seen trees with things in them, but you are right, it still is surprising.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon I am so jealous you have syrup...I will have to see if we can do a swap this summer with something.....I know you have honey so that won't work....I will keep thinking on this...I absolutely love maple syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I was still thinking of your new front page to your farm! Ha ha Really cool pic!

    ReplyDelete