Saturday, January 14, 2012

Simple But Incredibly Entertaining Toy

Who would think that a bunch of little magnetic balls would keep a boy entertained for hours?

When my son asked for these balls known as Neocube, Buckyballs, or Zen Magnets I thought, 

"What a waste of money."  

Boy, was I was wrong!  We purchased a 216-pack of the 5mm balls from eBay and he has given up t.v. and electronic games to spend hours creating shapes.  He even researched sites online that tell all about different things that can be done with them.  Google, "neocube tricks" to find ways to make 2-dimensional shapes click together into 3-dimensional shapes - entertaining and educational!  




Hollow egg shape



7 comments:

  1. drool... must have these incredible toys-love Buckminster Fuller and all he stood for. Imagine getting tossed from Harvard Twice and still soldiering on...what an amazing man-read about him, he's the Best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was perplexed when you wrote about Buckminster Fuller. Now I know the origin of "Bucky" balls. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I'll have to keep Buckyballs in mind for when the grandkids are a bit older!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard about these, but I am so very impressed. I can see why they would be able to pull one away from the computer!!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I can see where it would be addicting to keep creating different and more intricate shapes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen these but they look awesome! I bet my girls would love these in another year of so, thanks for the info :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is STILL playing with them. He has figured out a way to make a kind of top that spins at such high speed that the whole thing disintegrates!

    ReplyDelete