We split one of our beehives yesterday. This means we took some of the frames that had eggs and larvae - and covered with nurse bees -from one hive and put them into another hive body in hopes that they would start a new colony. We didn't buy a new queen... we're hoping they'll make a queen out of the eggs that were in the hive. We're experimenting. The hive we took from is crazy strong after the mild winter we've had. Now we're crossing my fingers that the new hives "take."
Good news! One sting and no allergic reaction. Maybe the reaction I had last fall was due to a super venom-ized bee?