Friday, July 1, 2011

Tomatoes Are Coming And "Oh My Gosh!"

I have lots of lovely green tomatoes on my plants in the high tunnel.  I hope the cherry tomatoes will get red quickly!



As I was picking suckers off the tomatoes - it is utterly amazing how fast they grow - I had an "Oh my gosh!" moment.  Can you see it?


There's a little bird's nest in the tomato plant!


This morning, when I went back in, there was a tiny speckled brown egg!  The bird (I believe it's some kind of sparrow) will have to live with me coming in and out though.  I can't work my high tunnel to it's schedule!  I think we can peacefully co-exist...

... I'm not sure though.  I have a birdhouse on the side of the chicken coop and a pair of swallows set up housekeeping in it this spring.  Now, their little babies are getting bigger (I saw one wobbly little head peeking out the opening - cute!) and when I go to the garden I get dive bombed the entire time I'm working!  


"Today I am sure no one needs to be told that the more birds a yard can support, the fewer insects there will be to trouble the gardener the following year."
-  Thalassa Cruso  

No comments:

Post a Comment