Thursday, August 5, 2010

Coming along

I'm hoping to have enough vegetables to be able to go to the Farmer's Market next Saturday, August 14th. I had to put in my garden late this year because I had to wait for the high tunnel to be finished. I couldn't even plant outside because the outside garden is right next to the high tunnel and would have been trampled in the process of putting on the plastic. But finally, finally I'm starting to see some results!

I've pulled radishes and lots of basil. The parsley is coming along well. I've found that watermelons LOVE high tunnels and may plant more next year. Beans have gone crazy. They're loaded with flowers and I hope to start picking beans very soon. Cucumbers are loaded. There's a lot more and it's all coming along great!

My tomatoes are loaded with green tomatoes and I'm doing a bunch of pruning to encourage them to turn red. I'm just crossing my fingers that the late blight doesn't get them. I swear I'll be sick! I'll take most of the cherry, Beefsteak and Brandywine tomatoes to the Farmer's Market, but the Romas are all mine and will be made into loads of lovely tomato sauce, tomato paste, ketchup, barbecue sauce (do you know I found only one barbecue sauce that didn't list high fructose corn syrup as the first ingredient? It tasted horrible!) and other tomato-ey products.



I got a butcher date of October 25th for the piggies today. Now I have to feed, feed, feed them!

4 eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment