Friday, December 16, 2011

Uncle Sam Wants You to Raise Chickens

WW I Chicken Poster





























Mother Earth News via The Happy Homesteader had an online article about raising chickens in municipalities and suburbs.  

The story discusses how people who want to raise chickens sometimes have to fight for the right.  But, in 1918, everyone was encouraged to raise their own chickens!  It kind of points out how our culture has changed, doesn't it?  

I loved this 1918 poster so much I couldn't help passing the story along.  You can read the entire article here.



2 comments:

  1. I love this poster! Don't you wish you could have one and that they still encouraged this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that! I was trying to picture the mini mansion neighborhoods with chickens and how nice it would make them to hear roosters crowing in the morning and chickens clucking contentedly. Very peaceful!

    ReplyDelete