Monday, December 19, 2011

Russian Teacake Cookies

There are a lot of names for this cookie, but we've always called them Russian Teacakes.  My family has made these cookies at Christmas time for as long as I can remember.  I didn't think my children would be crazy about them because it's not the usual overload of cloying sweetness, but this is one of their favorite cookies!  

It's traditional that we have to chop the nuts with this antique nut chopper that was given to my mother by my great grandfather.  I wrote a blog about this neat little machine a little over a year ago - here.  The kids sometimes argue over who gets to do the chopping!


The batter is quite stiff.  The mixer really groans while I'm mixing it. 


Then we roll them into 1-inch balls.  You can place them closely together because they don't really swell or spread.


The finished product is buttery, nutty, slightly sweet, and oh, so tasty!  


Russian Teacakes

1 cup soft butter
1/2 cup sifted confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2-1/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup finely chopped nuts (I use walnuts)

Mix butter, sugar, and vanilla.  Blend flour and salt and stir into butter mixture.  Mix in chopped nuts.  
Chill for at least one hour. 
Preheat oven to 400-degrees.  Roll into 1-inch balls and bake for 10 -12 minutes until just slightly browned.  
While still warm, roll in sifted confectioners sugar.  Cool.  Roll in confectioners sugar again.   

Makes between 2-4 dozen depending on how large you make the balls and how much batter the kids eat while you're rolling them!


5 comments:

  1. These cookies are also a family tradition for as long back as I can remember, except we like to use pecans. My daughter and I just made a couple batches this weekend to share with our new friends and neighbors. As long as I have some russian teacakes to eat, it feels like Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Mommy on this one, we also have this every Christmas, but we use pecans instead of walnuts....but if I didn't have any pecans around we'd definately use whatever nuts we had in the house as we LOVE these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm. Pecans would be lovely. I think my family always went with the walnuts because they're less expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We call them Pecan Butterballs. I forgot all about them. Thanks for reminding me! Too bad I don't have time to make them this year before my trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy cookies and good looks. excellent this post so thanks
    Luxury Hotels

    ReplyDelete