Thursday, October 27, 2011

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Recipe

I find myself buying a new jug of dishwasher soap fairly often and wasn't happy with the load of freaky petroleum-based chemicals I was putting into the ground.  I looked for a dishwasher detergent that was easy to make and used all natural ingredients.


I found this recipe at www.diynatural.com

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent (Soap) Recipe

1 cup Borax
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup citric acid
1/2 cup kosher salt

Fill rinse agent compartment with white vinegar.

Use 1 TBS. per load.  Don't fill the cup because you'll get too many suds.

I used the citric acid because I read that without it you would get a cloudy residue left on your dishes.  The article says you can get it at a brewery or specialty beer store.  We don't have anything like that in this small town and I remembered that there's a pretty good amount of citric acid in Fruit Fresh or All Fresh (the stuff that keeps your fruit from getting brown when you cut it up).  That's something I can find at our little grocery store, so I went with it and it seems to work! 

This recipe gets your dishes really clean!  I didn't write down what it cost to buy all of the ingredients, but I calculate I spent about $12.00 for full packages of everything.  With what I have I can mix up about 18 cups of detergent .  At 1 tablespoon per load this is going to last a loooong time and be way cheaper than store bought dishwasher soap!  

No comments:

Post a Comment