Thursday, September 4, 2014

Tomatoes and Mozzarella


One of my absolute favorite summer treats is Caprese Salad.  I make my version with fresh-picked tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, a swirl of good olive oil, and salt and pepper.  Delicious!



From my garden!



Now, if I could just find some mozzarella di bufala - a fresh mozzarella made from the milk of a water buffalo.  This excerpt from Murray's defines the sublime mozzarella di bufala: 

Carefully crafted from the milk of water buffalo-- the richest milk in the cheesemaking arsenal, with more than twice as much butterfat as cow’s milk-- buffalo mozzarella is a gorgeous contradiction: at once feather-light and unmistakably rich, delicate and assertively full flavored, slightly sour, lightly gamy, buttery, grassy and tangy all at once.

Unfortunately, the $11.99 price tag (before shipping!) deters me from buying this.  Maybe someday...  







1 comment:

  1. Its on my list of things to try. I imagine fresh homemade is delicious.... now if I could just get some water buffalo milk : )

    ReplyDelete