We VERY quickly popped open the beehives to feed the bees yesterday. We had a brief bout of 40-degree and above weather and after this cold, cold winter weather we knew they would need food! I put a fondant on the hives as its going to be too cold for a sugar water mixture.
My Fondant recipe:
8 lbs. cane sugar
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
2 lbs. water
1. Bring to boil, stirring frequently
2. Boil to 238 - 242 degrees. Boil at this temperature for 15 minutes (it takes a long time for the sugar mixture to reach this temperature and I can't stress enough to BE CAREFUL. This will burn you very badly if it splashes on you!)
3. Remove from heat. Let cool to 180 - 195 degrees.
4. Using mixer, blend until cloudy white. You can add HoneyBHealthy, pollen, etc. at this step.
5. Pour into container. ( I pour mine out onto parchment paper in circles to create patties.
6. Cool until hard.
Sadly, we found that we did lose some hives. This winter has been so terribly cold and harsh that we weren't surprised. We hope with careful tending to pull the rest through!