Yesterday, I tapped one of our smaller sugar bushes (a sugar bush is the name for an area of tapped maple trees) with about 265 taps put into the trees.
The sap is really running well! As I drilled the holes to put in the spiles, the sap would start running out of the holes and down the tree. I used a rubber mallet to get the spiles in as fast as I could because I didn't want to waste a precious drop!
The work is quite physically exhaustiing (I went to bed at 8:30 last night!), but I hope it will be quite rewarding. We have, for the past three years, sold our collected maple sap to a local maple syrup producer. This year, for the first time, we will be boiling our own sap!
Please join us on our journey!