Friday, August 17, 2012

Apple Cider Vinegar For Chickens?


Apple Cider Vinegar is full of vitamins, minerals, and trace elements.  When reading about this addition to my chickens' diet I found that it may help the chickens' health in a number of ways.  One way it may help is that it may prevent bacteria from building of in the birds' crops.  Another way it may help it that its reported to remove mucous from the body which helps chickens who are prone to respiratory problems.  And third, its supposed to build up their immune system.

From my very unscientific experience, I've found that my chickens' egg production really increases if once or twice a week I add a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a couple gallons of my chickens' water. 

Many of the reports say to use natural, unfiltered, apple cider vinegar that has "mother" in it.  I use the basic cheap stuff off the grocery store shelf and it seems to work fine.  Who knows, maybe the egg production would go up even more with the good stuff?

What I use.
Credit
The Good Stuff
Credit

Give it a try... I'd love to hear about your results!


On which side does a chicken have the most feathers? 
On the outside.
~chickenjoke.com




4 comments:

  1. The feather joke is great, am going to try it on my husband tonight. I'll try the apple cider vinegar too, I've read about it before... thanks for the testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow a couple of blogs that advocate ACV for the chickens. You have given me the "kick in the pants" I needed to actually do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of giving chickens ACV, but I have for cows. I'll have to try it and see about the eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My conclusion isn't based on science, but on observation. I hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete