Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Cookie Success!

Aren't these just the most beautiful Christmas cookies you've ever seen?


O.K.  So they're not perfect - maybe they're  a little messy, the edges aren't crisp and clear, but we love them.  Hey! They're kind of like me!

I have struggled with finding a good Christmas cookie recipe and when I wrote about it in a previous post, my friends, the Fords, whom I met through this blog because they live close, and they're retired military (like us) and they're working towards living sustainably, sent me their Christmas cookie recipe. 

It was perfect!  It tasted good, rolled out nicely, and has a simple ingredient list. 

Ford Family Christmas Cookies


1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg 
2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Beat together butter/sugar on low speed until light and fluffy. Stir in flavorings and egg, mix. Stir in flour/baking soda. Cover & refrigerate 2 hrs (or overnight). Roll dough 1/4" thick on lightly floured surface and cut out shapes, sprinkle as desired. Bake at 375 F for 7-8 minutes or when edges are golden brown. (Dough is best if warmed slightly before rolling.)

I took the recipe for the cookie icing from the McCormick website: 

Colorful Cookie Icing
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3 to 4 teaspoons milk (this wasn't quite enough)
1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract 
3 to 4 drops McCormick® Assorted Food Colors and Egg Dye


We had so much fun baking and decorating them.  Thank you, Fords, for giving us a new family tradition!  

My next baking project is peppar kakor cookies.  These are the real deal.  My Swedish friend even sent me a bottle of Swedish light baking syrup and a package of bikarbonate so that I can make them properly!  

Happy Baking!   


Don't forget to hop over to the Homestead Revival Barn Hop



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I was on the lookout for a good sugar cookie recipe myself! They look perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey all have decorated is what the grandkids did....ummmm, not perfect LOL.

    ReplyDelete