Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Are You A "Crunchy Con"?

Do you live a Crunchy Conservative lifestyle?

I like to think that I do.

Sadly though, I find that politics and economics do tend to stick their big noses into my life far too often.  I am VERY skeptical of big business - I believe that it runs our oversized government.

Number 8 (below) is interesting  Think about that KitKat candy bar commercial "crunch crunch crunch" in split second shots - then think about sitting on your porch, a nice glass of wine in your hand, and chatting with friends - how do each of these make you feel?

Number 2.  McDonald's Happy Meal Toys.  "Nuff said.

Number 5.  Absolutely.  If you can't drink the water and you can't breathe the air then you can't live.

I could comment on each one, and I don't entirely agree with each one, but essentially, I feel that most of these are a valuable set of guidelines by which I strive to live.

Are you a Crunchy Con?

A Crunchy Con Manifesto
By Ron Dreher

1. We are conservatives who stand outside the conservative mainstream; therefore, we can see things that matter more clearly.

2. Modern conservatism has become too focused on money, power, and the accumulation of stuff, and insufficiently concerned with the content of our individual and social character.

3. Big business deserves as much skepticism as big government.

4. Culture is more important than politics and economics.

5. A conservatism that does not practice restraint, humility, and good stewardship - especially of the natural world - is not fundamentally conservative.

6. Small, Local, Old, and Particular are almost alway better than Big, Global, New, and Abstract

7. Beauty is more important than efficiency

8.  The relentlessness of media-driven pop culture deadens our senses to authentic truth, beauty, and wisdom.

9. We share Russell Kirk's conviction that "the institution most essential to conserve is the family. "

10. Politics and economics won't save us; if our culture is to be saved at all, it will be by faithfully living by the Permanent Things, conserving these ancient moral truths in the choices we make in our everyday lives.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I am also a Crunchy Con. I have started passing the book around to my circle of conservative friends here in WA, and it's nice to finally get a label that fits us!

    ReplyDelete