Thursday, February 8, 2018

Snowshoes On A Winter Day


Yesterday, like most of the northeast, we got dumped on by snow.  





We're in the holding pattern now waiting for spring to come, so there's not a whole lot going on at the farm.  I'm planning my garden - a smaller one this year because I'll be growing for just my husband and me.  Both of our children will be off on their own life adventures!   

 Right after Thanksgiving of last year, my dear daughter left for the Air Force and my dear son plans to join as soon as he graduates high school in June.  They're both following family tradition as my husband and I were both in the Air Force.  You can bet we are some proud parents!


  

The snow piled up and I finally had a chance to try out my new snowshoes!  I bought them last year right as the snow started melting...   
...so I was excited to give them a try!  What a joy to get out in the peace and quiet of a new snow!  I've been entirely too housebound lately as I can handle some snow, but the bitter below zero temperatures leave me huddled in front of our wood stove.  




An interesting thing I found about snowshoes - balance is very important!  As I lifted my foot to take the first photo, I staggered a bit and in trying to catch my balance I realized that in snowshoes, you can't just quickly move your feet, and toppled over.  No injuries, just mild embarrassment as I looked around to make sure no one saw me thrashing around in the snow as I got up.

The dogs welcomed a run outside.  Our old lab, Daisy, particularly loved it as she finds the heated house a touch too warm for her and literally wallows in the snow.




This will probably be the last time I take the old miniature schnauzer, Petey, on a walk away from the house.  He's the oldest of our dogs and seems to have become very confused lately.  We'll take a walk and he'll wander off on his own.  He's deaf and can't hear me calling him (either that or he's ignoring me).  Fortunately, we have neighbors who know him and bring him back home.  For safeties sake though, he'll be a homebody from now on.  




Our new vizsla puppy, Lady Bird, welcomes the chance to get outside and burn off some her inexhaustible amounts of energy.  Ladybird is our new hunting dog... a very spoiled hunting dog who sleeps with us and is quite pampered.      




We're starting to keep a close watch on the temperatures because maple season is just around the corner.  It's hard to believe, but very soon there will be maple sap flowing from these trees and into these lines!





The snow laid heavy on the hemlock trees and I wonder what make these rubs on the trees.  Is it a buck rubbing his antlers?  Or something else?    

  




The farm clock ticks slowly now, but I can feel it pausing to take a deep breath before it begins to speed up! 















No comments:

Post a Comment