Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Always Look Before Reaching Into A Nest Box


We haven't had a lot of eggs with the shorter winter days, but I still check because every once in a while I'll have one or two and it's so frustrating when they've frozen!

However, I learned that is imperative to visually check the nest box before you reach your hand in there. 


It always, always makes my heart skip a beat when I see the flash of very white teeth just before I check for eggs.  That isn't feathers you're seeing.  It's the fur of an oppossum!  The bugger snuck in there and found a nice cozy spot for a winter nap!  Luckily I found him before he ate the head off of one of my chickens.    






2 comments:

  1. ...ahhh...I know it. I thought you were going to say a rat. I had a rat...rat...in the chicken coop in the nesting box one year. It jumped down, by my feet....I almost peed....maybe I did...a little. We had to do major fixing of holes in the coop walls. We haven't had any evidence of them for over a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Dicky Bird you just made me laugh out loud! I guess a 'possum looks like a giant rat, but at least it didn't jump out at me!

    ReplyDelete