Monday, August 13, 2012

Sour Cream Cucumbers

I was going to write about my outside weed garden.  But it'll be so much more fun with pictures.  Today, a recipe for that abundance of cucumbers people may be getting! 

This is a recipe my mom made when I was a kid and now I make it for my kids.  They gobble it up!

Sour Cream Cucumbers

Everything here is "to taste."  We like ours a tiny bit vinegary and garlicy.  So I'll give you approximate measures and you can taste your sour cream mixture until you get it the way your family likes it.  

Ingredients: 

3-4 cucumbers, peeled, if necessary, and very thinly sliced
sour cream, a nice big dollop (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 cup)
garlic powder (about 1 tsp.) 
white vinegar (about 2-3 tsp.)
pepper (about 1/8 tsp.)

I remember my mom always put the cucumbers in a colander with salt and ice cubes for a couple of hours (I think to crisp the cucumbers).  I usually forget about that step until just about suppertime and the dish still turns out tasty.  

Mix together sour cream, garlic powder and vinegar.  Taste and adjust.  Fold in sliced cucumbers until they're nicely coated.  Sprinkle with pepper.

So simple and so good!


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe!! I have an abundance of cukes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is our absolute favorite way to eat cukes!

      Delete
  2. Maybe we local farmers, who all have an abundant of something, and for us it is zucchini, should do an abundant food night (or lunch) and all bring a favorite "abundant food" dish and have a meal just of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder about sour cream cucumbers! I haven't made them in several years and your post has now given me a craving! :)

    ReplyDelete